Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Overnight Success

About four years ago, after having our first born, we had this glorious plan. A business that would allow me to stay home with our child and future children. We would open up shop and it would be grand. Sales bringing money flying through the doors. We prayed to God, we knew it was in His plan for me to be home with the kids. We knew that it was what was best for our family. He had called us to so much and this was just what would make it all doable.

It's funny how we think we know everything. Not to say that me being home wasn't part of His plan for us, we know now that it really was but we were going about our lives in all the wrong ways. We saw the end goal but forgot about all that needed to come first. Obedience.

I remember sitting at a blogging conference (Creative Estates) a few years ago and listening to one of the speakers, Megan, at Brassy Apple as she said "It took 5 years to become an overnight success". I remember thinking, "Come on God, that could be me. Bring on the buisness, I'm ready. We can do this together". It didn't happen. I didn't understand why God wasn't responding. Didn't He want me home?

Fast forward a few years. We had given up on our plan. We finally said, this business is a passion and we will continue on but just because I love it. The extra cash has been nice but it clearly isn't gonna pay the bills.

God had been calling us to so much. Ministries, foster care, homeschooling. Time consuming, mama needs to be at home kind of stuff but He wasn't providing the extra income. You know what? I stayed home anyway, still working very part time from home. We decided to take a leap of faith. Trust in God. Be obedient to His call regardless of our fears. We were ready to be a Vessel for Him. To simply use this little business to bring Him glory.


Do you know what happened next? After 4 years of busting my butt, Vessel was an over night success. No where near the success that the speaker had but as much as I could handle. We have had to hire a seamstress, I have another friend who is a seasonal assistant. Things got real. Why now? Did the quality change? Did I promote more? Did I invest more? No. None of the above. We were running business as usual. With less effort in fact. What changed, is our hearts. We stopped relying on ourselves. We stopped trusting in talents and promotions and started trusting in God.

We were finally being obedient. God wanted us to step back and say "God we trust you. We trust you with our finances, with our family, with it all."

Guys, God is good. He is faithful. He is always there. Sometimes all it takes is for us to stand back and trust in Him to do the work. To carry our burdens and our fears.

What are you trusting in God for today? What prayers are you waiting to be answered?

Are you willing to listen, to be obedient? Share your prayer with us. Step out in faith and let's pray together, hold each other accountable.

If I've learned anything, it is that if our heart lines up with His plan, our prayer will be fulfilled. If it doesn't line up, He will go above and beyond what we could ever imagine. His plan is far greater than our own, let's start handing it over and letting Him awe us.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! Great encouragement and I'm blessed to see you guys swimming in blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mikie. So glad to be able to encourage others. Obedience is rough!

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! You are such an example and inspiration! I loved talking with you on Saturday! You are seriously glowing! The Lord is so good!! So happy for you and your sweet and very special family! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Sarah. I am so glad to be an inspiration to you, as you inspire so many daily. I look forward to many more chats with you. Hint, hint.. nudge, nudge ;)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails