Thursday, February 14, 2013

Chevron Quilt {Part 1}

It has been so long since I started planning Rhiannon's bedroom. We decided that instead of doing a theme we would just go for all out girly. I made the mistake of letting her choose the color scheme. I mean,I love the colors she chose but to find coordinating fabrics was quite the challenge. After looking for hours I eventually just took her to the store with me and let her pick some of her favorites.


We decided on a few fabrics from Moda, the Sophie by Chez Moi collection, I love the whole scheme that she chose. We coordinated with a few different solid colors. I knew from the get go that I wanted her to have a Chevron quilt. I'm a little upset with Chevron... don't bring it up to my husband it is a touchy subject in our house, as in he teases me constantly.

My original plan was to do one post of the whole process of the quilt, with some sort of tutorial for you. However, it's been a work in progress for months since things have been so chaotic. I decided just to break it up. Today's post will show you the first few steps and we will eventually link all of the post together to show you step-by-step how to create the quilt.


I started by cutting squares of each fabric at 8 inches. Once cut, I laid them face to face. Solid colored fabric to printed fabric facing right sides together.

Once you have your pieces facing right side together measure the very center and put a line a quarter inch in on each side. These lines will be where you are actually placing your seam. Once your seams are there you can cut straight down the center from corner to corner. This will give you a triangle open your triangle, making a square and press the seams open.


These squares are your quilt blocks. Easy Peasy. A couple minutes and one block is complete.


Once you have all of your blocks created you will flip-flop them, for lack of a better definition, making your entire quilt. I think looking at it would be the best way to figure this out since I can't quite figure out how to word it. Basically you are flipping in and making larger triangles. Which then turn in to dips and peaks of your zig zag or Chevron. See what I mean? I just cant put it into words. Haha.
***Don't forget to snip the little tails off of your blocks before piecing. These images were taken before I did that.***
This is where I will be leaving you off this week. It should take you long enough to do this part anyways depending on the size of your quilt. Rhiannon's quilt will end up being a twin to full-sized quilt.

The next post and the next step of this quilt will be to sew up your quilt top and piece your quilt back, because really no one wants a solid back, right? I will see you hopefully next week with the completed top!

{Part 2} 

{Part 3}

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing, I am so going to make this someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And no problem. Would love to see your finished piece when you do!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails