Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Chevron Quilt {Part 2}

Ok so last time we left off just finishing up our quilt blocks. To see that post click here. Today we will be making the quilt top and the back.

The first step of this is to lay out all of your blocks. Move them around until you are happy with their placement.


Side Note: if you have a wild 11 month old roaming around your home, wait until they nap...trust me...


Once you are happy with your placement, you are going to start piecing them together. Start with either the top or bottom row. Seam up each block to the next with a 1/4"-1/2" seam allowance.


Once you have completed a row, press open all of the seams. This is going to help you get straight and pretty lines.


Piece the next row. At this point, instead of moving on to the next row, I like to sew the rows together. This is preference. You can sew and press every row first but I like to see my quilt come together as I go.


After sewing each row together, press those seams open as well.


Your top is finished.


Up next is the back. I like a simple backing but not too plain. For this quilt, I decided on a simple pieced stripe on a solid back.

First things first, measure your top. That is the size you want the back. I know I am a genius. Ha.

Ignore my nasty, in need of paint, nails!
I then decided on the width I wanted my stripe. 10" before sewing. Cut the remainder of the size out of your main fabric. Cut you 10" pieces. I did varying sizes on my pieces that made up the stripe, just for fun.

Sew up your stripe. Press open the seams. Then sew it to the two solid pieces. And done.

Photo was clearly take before ironed or loose thread was removed :/
Next week: quilting and binding oh my! 

 Part Three can now be sound Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails