Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Homeschool; Curriculum

The countdown has begun and our preschool year is quickly approaching. Rhi could not be more excited, she reminds me daily that I need to change the number on the chalkboard. I on the other hand could not be more nervous. This is her education. What if I mess up? What if I fall short? What if I fail her causing her to fail at everything? AH!


I know I am over doing it a bit. I know I am freaking out a little too much. This is important stuff though. And I want to do the best I can to provide my children the best education possible.

I did a ton of research on what curriculum to use. We wanted a bible centered curriculum for sure. Something that was structured enough for me but fun enough for the kids. There were so many options. So many reviews. So many things to read and look at and touch.


We finally decided to go with SonLight. I know many of you had questions about what we chose and what we think of it. I can't say too much at this point, as we haven't dove in yet. What I can say is that it eases my mind and my racing heart. My days are laid out for me but because there is so much included that is not "required", I have the freedom to pick and chose what will work best for us and what will meet our needs.


Biggest negative so far? The price. I saw it and saw dollar signs instantly. We are on a budget. A very strict budget. $300 plus did not please me. In fact, it made me nauseous. We are working around it though. We purchased the teachers guide and activity books first, figuring if we couldn't work out the finances we could always hit up the library...a lot. But God provides. This week we purchased the books for Week 1 - Week 15. When the time comes we will see where we stand on the next set of books. If we can't do it we will pull out our handy dandy library card.

We are all excited about starting up with SonLight and adding in field trips to match up with what we are learning. We have a long road ahead of us but I am starting to feel like we are on the right path.

8 comments:

  1. Love your black board! How exciting ... I remember those pre-school years. Enjoy!!

    Stopping by from the Not Back to School Blog Hop.

    Alicia from Joy in the Everyday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really looking forward to preschool. Can't wait for all the fun!

      Delete
  2. Sonlight is expensive but it will pay for itself in its reusability. We started using it when we were thought we were only having one child. And even then it was worth the money for us. My daughter reread those books over and over. Then we had a surprise baby so we're really getting our money's worth.

    Enjoy your year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reassurance :) I have been worried about the cost. Hearing from someone who actually uses it and says it's worth it really helps

      Delete
  3. I am so anxious to hear all about your homeschooling adventure...I plan to homeschool when my little guy is older! Thanks for linking up with the Creative Headquarters Blog Hop...so glad to meet you! I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following. I am so excited to homeschool this year. Maybe I'll have some useful info when it's time for you to start :)

      Delete
  4. I didn't know about that Berenstain Bear's book! See, now I have to change my curriculum.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails