Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Camarones a la Ajillo

When we first got the call that there was a baby who needed a home, ethnicity meant nothing to us. When Little man was placed with us, the color of his skin was irrelevant...although the perfection of the tone made me a little envious.

It wasn't until a few months later, while talking to a mama with an older child that I realized that to him, it may be a struggle later.

What I am referring to is the confusion as to who he is. Where he came from. And do not tell me that he lives here, so he is American period. Do. Not. Go There. Little man is half Dominican. One of his birth parents was born and raised. His culture is important. It is a part of who he is.

How can I as a white mom ever show him that part of himself? I can try. I mean I will never be able to roll my R's and speak Spanish to him. Even when I try, I sound ridiculous. I can however, read him books. I can cook him food. I can figure out how on earth to style that wild hair, that turns to the most beautiful ringlet when you use the right product.

There are many things I am not looking forward to when it comes to explaining things about his ethnicity. Let me tell you one thing though, showing him his culture has been a blast! Dominicans know how to eat.

You didn't know this post was going there, did you? I mean unless you read the title. This is one of my favorite recipes that we have tried so far. I mean, of the ones I can actually eat while dieting. Queso Frito is the best food ever. You know why? Because it's Fried Cheese. I mean do you need more of an explanation?

 So indulge in Little Man's Culture with me, will you?  


Camarones a la Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp)
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup butter
1 Green Bell Pepper, sliced
1 Large Onion, sliced
10 Cloves of Garlic, minced <---- yes, you read that right.
1lb. Large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 Cup tomato sauce
1 Tbsp Dried Parsley
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste




Instructions
Heat both Olive Oil and Butter over Medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, or until your onions are soft and translucent.


Add garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant. Usually about 1 min. Next, add in the shrimp and cook for minutes on each side. The shrimp will turn opaque.

Stir in your tomato sauce, parsley and red pepper flakes. Cook until the sauce is warm.



Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve over rice (I use brown rice), with black beans...always black beans.

4 comments:

  1. Loved this. We are already joking...but kind of not joking...that we are now half Mexican...or will be officially when/if our adoption goes through! We are proud of adding that heritage/culture to our home and are even buying some of his books in spanish to learn everyday words!! Exciting times for sure. Now explaining all the why's that will go along later in life with this topic....not so exciting. Sad actually. But hopefully love will win and all will be understood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, I love this. It is so fun. And an important piece that I think we often forget. We are working hard to make sure that it's always a part of who he is and we are now for that matter. I do not even want to think about the why's later on. Love will win, it's scary though.

      Delete
  2. And I want to advertise my blog on your spot now that I have it up and running again!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails