Serving something Irish could be a huge meltdown risk. What is a determined mama to serve? Irish Nachos. It has Irish in the name, so it counts, right? It works for me.
I love Irish Nachos but wanted to make sure we weren't just eating a pound of preservative loaded, who knows what's really in it, nacho cheese. So I made my own. These were delish.
Cheese Sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 heaping cup fresh shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
a few dashes red pepper flakes, optional
Everything else:
5 Large Potatoes
1Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp dried Thyme
1 tsp Seasoned Salt
Sm. Package Sour Cream
Green Onions
Bacon
Instructions:
We are going to start with our potatoes since they take the longest. Preheat oven to 425. Cut potatoes to desired size. I use a handy dandy gadget for this. {Tip: to make cutting potatoes easier, first microwave them for about 45 sec per potato. Let them cool and BAM!} Once cut, rinse some starch away. Pat dry. Coat in oil. Cover in seasonings and pop them in the oven for 30-45 min depending on your thickness and how you like your fries. Make sure to flip them at the halfway point of baking.
Now the sauce. Melt your butter over medium heat. Add milk. Whisk in the flour. When all mixed in, whisk in the cheeses. Continue whisking until it is all melted and well blended. If you are adding in your pepper flakes, do so now. Let simmer until you are ready to drizzle it. Make sure to stir often so it doesn't stick or burn.
While you wait for your potatoes to finish up, fry up your bacon and chop the green onions.
Okay, now that our potatoes are ready, let's turn them into nachos. Put them on your plate and go to town layering on your ingredients. Cheese, then sour cream, bacon and a little green onion. I use a ziplock to put the sour cream on and make it pretty. Enjoy with the whole family.









What a fun idea, Irish Nachos, I enjoy both Irish food and nachos, yum! I just started a new link-up, Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up and would love to invite you to share your recipe at my linky party. :) http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up.html
ReplyDeleteThanks. Heading over now.
DeleteLove this! We love potatoes...this is perfect! Visiting from Do Tell Tuesday! Pinning!
ReplyDeletePotatoes are a family favorite here too. Thanks for stopping by.
DeleteI have never heard of Irish nachos, but they sure look great. Lovely pictures. I would love for you to share at the Bacon Time linky, if you have not already.
ReplyDeleteThank you Mindie. I will go check it out
DeleteThese sounds yummy! I would love it if you would share this on my Tasty Tuesday linky party going on now!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thecomfortsofhome.blogspot.com/2014/03/tasty-tuesday-2.html
I am working on my Features for this weeks party, and your nachos make the cut! They will be featured on Friday at Bacon Time. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteFirst time I heard Irish Nachos. It looks tasty and filling. It is indeed tricky on what to feed the kids I always end up tricking them to eat some foods.
ReplyDeleteThank you for linking up last week at Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up, I hope you stop by again this week. :) Happy St. Patrick's Day! http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up-2.html
ReplyDelete