Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Toddler Talk: Opinions.

Was baby number 2 a surprise? 22 months, that's less than 2 years! You've got your hands full! What were you thinking when you had your kids so close together?

These are all statements I have heard when people see or hear the age difference between my kids. I know I am not the only one with kids close in age. I know there are people with kids much closer together than mine. Is this age difference not as common as I thought?

When people say things like this to me, I'm not going to lie, sometimes I want to blow up at them.

First off, my kids are amazing, well behaved and frankly a piece of cake to take care of. I am blessed. I know my kids are not the norm. I seriously have it so easy. So when people say things like "you have your hands full", it makes me laugh a little. I usually just smile and nod. But seriously people, seriously? When my kids are sitting quietly, laughing and smiling in a shopping cart, what makes you think that my hands are full? Since when is having two kids a handful? Isn't that the average number of kids in a family? I'm a little confused.

Second, was he a surprise? An accident? NO! He was completely planned. I want lots of babies. Babies are a blessing. Why do so many people see kids as such an inconvenience? That is not saying that if your baby was a surprise, they are unwanted or an inconvenience, it is the assumption that number two must have been a surprise that I have beef with.

And lastly, what was I thinking when I had my kids so close together. Well... this:




These moments. The bond. The friendship. I wanted this for my kids. I want them to grow up together. To share moments together as the best of friends. I love the age difference between my kids. I love that the get to experience so many first time memories together. It is fun.

Plus, if I am going to talk my husband into having a soccer team full of kids, I gotta keep them close together, right? You think that I'm joking huh?

Sorry about my rant. Just had to vent to y'all.

Do you have experiences like this? Or am I the only one?

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Yes! I get the, " oh wow, you must have your hands full" ALL THE TIME!!! I smile and said, "oh well no not really, I have 3 amazing kids, who are pretty easy going. Yes we have our moments, but don't we all." People are usually stunned by my book of a response. But it. Like you, drives me nuts. Or wow all girls!!! Your not gonna have more are you!? What does that mean, I only have 3!! That's not a lot. I want at the very least 6. I tellhave people iare want more. I tellhave thempeople i lovehave it. They lookare at methe like imto crazy. I had one lady at Costco say she should take my photo and submit it to a news paper cuz im super mom..... Uh what!!! Again only 3. I don't get it!! Is having a family a lot of work, sure. But its my life. I love it. Not an inconvenience, a joy, an experience like non other. A chance no a gift, for God to allow us to see a fraction of His love. Your a blessed lady my friend! I love your heart! I love your family! Your just great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.... Do I get this all the time? Yes yes I do.. I have four and even though the first 3 were separated by a few years my 3rd and 4th are only 18 months apart.. Not gonna lie sometimes I think to myself (what was I thinking) but just like you said the bond between these sisters is going to be so tight..
    As for the mistake part. None of my kids are or were a mistake.. God planned every single one of them.. Even if they may not have been in my plan at that moment that doesnt matter because they were in His plan for my life.. I know this one thing.. I wouldnt change it for the world! I love my kids and every one of them (all 4) are a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why we had Nathan so close to Kiera, we wanted her to have a friend because I didn't have any friends having babies or really any that were married. They are sweet friends. I love it! Have you heard, "you're not tired enough?" I got that with pregnancy 3 and 4. I'm going to be tired regardless of how many children I have. When people comment about my hands being full I just say "yep!" and smile because you know, they are full. My arms (and our bed) are full but there's always room for more. :) It is annoying when people act like kids are such an inconvenience though. It's because you love being a mommy and you don't view your precious little gifts that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your responses. God truly has a plan, even if it is not the one we had in mind it is the perfect plan. What a blessing each of these babies are!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails