Sunday, August 12, 2012

Where They Learn

Homeschoolers just chill in their PJs and watch the discovery channel all day right? No, they hike up their pants, throw in their pocket protectors and walk around museums, avoiding other "normal" kids at all costs. 

There are lots of stereotypes. In some cases, people fit into them. But in reality, those kids are few and far between. Not many homeschool moms rely on TV to teach their children. I mean that goes against the main reason most of us homeschool. We want to be the ones teaching our kids.

So what does a real homeschool kid and a real homeschool environment look like? I have no stinkin' clue. I wasn't homeschooled. I didn't see it first hand. What I did know is that I didn't want my 3 year old to be distracted. I wanted the place she learned to be inviting. I wanted it to be fun, so she would associate school with a fun time/environment. So that's what I modeled our homeschool classroom around.

Unfortunately, we don't have a ton of space. We're working with a limited budget, with no extra rooms and basically what we already had. Creating our dream space has proved to be a challenge.


We pulled this beautiful vanity from Rhiannon's room and turned it into her desk. She has her art supplies in one drawer, flashcards and science project stuff in the other. The center holds her paper, personal chalkboard and coloring books. 

This bookshelf was a steal. Only $5 bucks on craigslist. Added a fresh coat of white paint and accented the back paneling in green and it was set. The shelf holds her school books, my homeschool planners and some games and manipulatives. 

As far as making the room look like a place she wanted to be, I let her pick out some fabrics and I made her an alphabet banner. Which a few friends have commissioned me to make for them as well. The chalkboard was an old mirror that we painted a bright color. We pulled out the glass and replaced it with a thin wood that was painted with chalkboard paint.


I took apart an old office chair and jazzed it up for her. Tutorial here.

 

And hung clipboards to show off her work (little brothers too). They are so proud to see their art hanging.

It isn't much. We did what we could with what we had space and financial wise. But it didn't take much. Rhiannon is thrilled. She is counting down her days to preschool. She goes and sits at her desk and asks daily when school will start. I'm hoping to expand and add to the room gradually. 

But for now, this is where she will learn.

Not Back to School Blog Hop

18 comments:

  1. This looks great! I love what you did with the bookshelves, painting the backing. Very eclectic space! I also use orange and green in our room.

    http://samsnoggin.com/2012/08/the-schoolroom.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Not bad for a $7 project. :) Heading over to check out your schoolroom now!

      Delete
  2. Very cute! Looks like you will have a great year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun and creative room! LOVE the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great room! She likes it, you used the space and finances that you had, and it is super cute. Really, it couldn't be better! And your alphabet banner is too cute! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We have struggled to make it work and I am so happy that we put together something that we love!

      Delete
  5. I am SO glad you joined us @ the CHQ Blog Hop today! I'm planning to home school our son when the time comes (he's only 13 months now). Can't wait to see where the year takes you!

    Thanks for joining us at the CHQ Blog Hop tonight! I'm your newest follower on GFC! We hope you meet some great new bloggy friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following and YAY for homeschooling. Such an exciting adventure.

      Delete
  6. i love your room! super cute! the chair is soooo awesome. thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and no problem. It was so simple I had to share.

      Delete
  7. That bunting oh that bunting!!! Amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it awesome. My girl has good taste in fabric :)

      Delete
  8. I love it!! You've done a fantastic job with your space. I sooo love the alphabet banner. Too cute!! Blessings for a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you've done a spectacular job with what you have! Wow! Love the colors, esp. that chalkboard. What creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The girl gets all the credit for the colors :)

      Delete
  10. You are so creative! I can just imagine all the fun things that are going to happen in that room. It just looks so...happy! Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We are really looking forward to starting on Monday.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails