That's how this labor went.
We
decided to go all natural this time around. No epidural. No drugs at
all. I was going to experience the real deal. I was actually pretty
excited about it.
Then
for numerous health reasons, after a lot of consideration and prayer we
(doctor, hubby and I) decided that an induction was the best option for
baby and I.
With
the decision for an induction, came the decision to have an epidural.
It was not an easy decision but the thought of no pain meds during the
intense labor induction brings terrified me.
The
decision to induce and have an epidural threw my loved birth plan out
the window. Bye bye birthing ball, showers and ability to rock and walk
the halls. Hello being locked down to a hospital bed. Sadness. But a
good decision for my baby and I.
Plus side,
at least it'll be pain free, right? Right? Someone tell me epidurals
always work! Or don't, you'd be lying. We'll get to that though.
Induction
day came. Family was on call. We knew it would be quick. My first labor
was 9 hours, second was 6. This would be 3, right? Wrong!!
We arrived at the hospital. Got checked in. Waited about an hour and were in the room by 11am.
They checked my cervix and I was at a three. Booyah!!! I'd never been
dilated before labor in the past. This was gonna be over in an instant.
Pitocin was started and my first contraction came at around 1:30.
I toughed through what the nurse called intense contractions for about 2
hours. It wasn't too bad. We walked the halls, I rocked in the rocking
chair for a bit. It was the best part of any labor I've had because I
was doing it! The nurse informed us that if I wanted an epidural in the
next few hours I needed to do it now.
The epidural was placed and my water was broke. With the other two, after my water broke it was about an hour. It was go time.
After
about 5 minutes, I wasn't feeling well. Like really bad. Nauseous,
light headed, room spinning. The epidural caused my blood pressure to
drop. They gave me something in the IV and instantly I felt fine. It was
really go time now.
About
an hour later, I was still in labor. Instead of feeling the urge to
push like I expected, I felt nauseous again. I felt like I was going to
pass out. From what everyone in the room says, my eyes rolled back in my
head, the bottom of my feet were blue and I was pale white. My blood
pressure had dropped to 60/58!!! More ephedrine in the IV and I was
fine.
But
why couldn't I feel my legs. Epidural was settling in them. My
contractions were not being picked up by external or internal monitors.
Had they stopped? Sure enough my labor would not stick. It went off and
on for 13 hours where I stayed dilated at a 4 the WHOLE time.
All
of a sudden, horrible contractions. I let the nurse know I was in pain.
Yes, in pain despite an epidural. For some reason the epidural was only
working from my waist down. I felt everything from this point
on...everything except my legs. My legs felt like logs, heavy logs that I
could lift on my own. But things were progressing.
I was at 7. After 20 minutes I informed her I was feeling the pain and a little pressure. We were almost there.
Doctor
was called and we kicked my family out of the room. As the doctor was
prepping I had the urge to push, so we started. 1 push and there was his
head. Within 4 pushes he was here. The labor from hell turned into the
easiest delivery ever.
This precious baby was placed on my chest and I have been in love ever since.
Corbin Grey was born on July 23rd at 3:23am. He was 9lb 11oz and 21.5in
He is growing quickly and is the sweetest little guy.
![]() |
| First picture as a family of 6. It's cuter without Little Man's disguise but it'll do :) |






Congrats! He's precious...they all are, even with little man's mask. xoxo
ReplyDelete