Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Heart Throb top


**It's Valentine's Week here at Vessel Handmade. 5 Days of holiday themed posts. We'll have tutorials, recipes, decor and DIY. So follow along and fall in love. All projects and recipes will be linked at the bottom of each blog as they are posted.**

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I love celebrating love and being spoiled with gifts as much as the next girl. Here's my beef with Valentine's Day though. We are fooled into thinking if we don't go out on that day and buy a meal that some restaurant jacked up the price on then clearly we will die alone.

The fear of dying alone sends the masses to all of the places that I want to go. Obvs. This puts a wrench in this impatient girls plans. I mean seriously, I only get a babysitter for so long and then i spend it all waiting for tables and lines. What's up with that Valentine's Day?

Seriously though, the title doesn't lie. This post really is about a shirt. I just needed to say all of that to get to the point that hubby and I often chose a different night of the week to celebrate. But the hype of Valentines Day means that even though I am married and have 4 children, the fact that I wait a day to celebrate will ultimately fast track me to spinsterhood. 

So on Valentine's Day I make it about the kids. We celebrate. At home. All decked out. Hearts everywhere. Mama needs a Valentine outfit but not a little black dress and come get me heels.



So I made this. And wanted to share a little DIY for those of you who take it casual on Valentines Day.

Reason for two pair of scissors? Never cut paper with your fabric scissors. It will make them dull.

Materials:
Shirt (I got mine from Target's clearance section)
Lace
Coordinating thread
Paper pattern
Scissors
Rotary cutter

Directions:
For your pattern, you can either print this or simply cut half a heart shape in an 8x11 sheet of paper. Fold back of shirt in half, lining up the seams.


Make sure to flatten out any creases and then pin the template on the shirt. The fold of the shirt should be lined up perfectly with the straight edge of the paper. Figure out where you want your heart before pinning. I lined mine up about 1.5" above the armpit of my top.


Cut heart out of shirt. Take the heart that was cut from your shirt and lay it on the lace. Cut the lace down. It does not need to be perfect, as we will be cutting away excess after sewing.


Lay lace inside shirt, pin (on outside) and stitch. I used a zigzag stitch to prevent the jersey like fabric from rolling when it is washed. Flip inside out and cut off any excess lace.


Your shirt is done in hardly any time at all. You could easily put a tank under to add a pop of color and/or avoid showing bra straps. I simply went with a backless bra. I will be wearing a red tank while spending the day with my nursing baby.

Valentine Week Posts


Lovely Ladies LinkyThe DIY Dreamer

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. It is a vintage lace that I just cant get enough of :)

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous! I love this idea, what a creative way to customize a shirt. It makes me want to go search my closet now, lol :) Thank you for linking up to our lovely ladies link party last week, I wanted to let you know I've featured your shirt at the party this week! You can check it out here if you'd like- http://www.justalittlecreativity.com/2014/01/lovely-ladies-linky-party-19-with.html
    Thanks again!
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails