Saturday, May 29, 2010

Let Her Twirl

A few months ago, I stood at Downtown Disney listening to a Salsa band play. A little girl, who looked to be maybe 4 years old, began to dance. She moved her little body in the manner of a seductive Latin dancer. I listened to many women compliment the mother. "Look at her move those hips, she is so talented". As they all admired her dancing, I couldn't help noticing all of the men around. Many of them watching the young girl. I would like to believe that not one of those men had an inappropriate thought, but I know the world we live in.

What happened to the innocence of a child. The sweetness of putting on a pretty dress or a tutu and simply twirling. When did little girls stop leaping? What happened to the dream of being a princess in a ballroom or a ballerina on stage?
A few years ago, I read the book Captivating. The author spoke of how as young girls, we twirl around asking the question "Am I beautiful? Do you love me?" and as we age we continue to do this. We do it in our prom dresses and again in our wedding gowns. Maybe we don't do the whole twirl thing...or maybe we do and just don't admit to it. But we put on the dress and ask the question "Am I beautiful? Do you love me?"

I find the statement/question to have a simple innocence to it. When did we stop asking "Am I beautiful? Do you love me" and begin asking "Am I sexy? Do you want or desire me?" When did dancing in such a seductive manner become so acceptable?
Judge me if you will but I say turn off your Music Videos and let her twirl!

6 comments:

  1. Every girl young or old needs to be able to twirl and know that God loves them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!!! I completely and utterly agree about the lose of innocence... sensoring what our little girls see and know is very important to me. I know you agree! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Innocence and purity is beautiful and something to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love and agree with the concept of your post and the importance of innocence, but... growing up as a little Cuban girl in Miami dancing Salsa and Merengue was our version of ballerina twirling - the seductive part of Latin dancing didn't come into play for us until much, much later in life. Probably about the same time frame as little twirling ballerinas...

    so happy to have discovered your blog from blog sugar!
    namaste
    elsie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elsiee,
    Thank you so much for your feedback. Don't get me wrong, I love the style of dancing itself. My problem is not at all with the dance but the provocative nature that the child performed it in. I'm glad you posted this comment, so that I could clear that up. =o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails