Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chevron Quilt {Part Three}

How are your quilt tops and backs looking? Have you all completed them? If so, it is time for our next step. Quilting, eeek!!!

When I originally started this quilt, I thought for sure that I would do some free hand quilting. Guess what? I'm a chicken. So we went with a stencil. Let's not get ahead of ourselves though. Before we can quilt, we have to secure our layers together.


Rhiannon loves a nice snuggly blanket so I knew I needed to put some batting between the top and back. Since we live in California and it doesn't get all that cold here, I chose to use a low loft batting. To adhere my layers, I start by laying the batting on the floor and the quilt top on top of it. Pull back half of the batting and spray a washable adhesive, smooth it out and do the other half. Repeat this step for the backing. Use 12million safety pins to hold it together. You can be a risk taker like I am sometimes and skip the pins and count on that good ol' adhesive but I make no promises on it holding together.


Next step, take a deep breath. It's time to quilt. Since I chickened out on the freehand stuff, I grabbed a stencil and traced a scallop pattern, starting at each corner and working my way in on each side.

Once the tracing is done, you can simply follow those lines with your machine...using a quilting foot of course. This quilt was a twin size and was a little bit of a challenge to move but you will be able to handle it...with minimal cursing. Ha!

In the bottom of the image below you can see what the quilting will look like on each side. Once it is complete, you will need to cut away any excess fabric. This will prevent bulking while adding your bias.

Now that you are about finished, it is time to bind the quilt. You will first need to attach a few pieces of your binding. My quilt took about three strips. To attach these, you will want to open up the pieces, facing the wrong sides together, cut them diagonally. Next you will turn them right sides together. They will look angled, for a lack of better word. Stitch them together and fold them back up. 

Line your binding up with your quilt and start stitching about 6 inches down from the top of the binding. You will need the extra binding in order to attach it at the end. Follow around the quilt until you reach a corner. I have a hard time directing this and the photos didn't turn out as clear as I would have liked. So, I am simply going to direct you to Cluck Cluck Sew, her tutorial is fab. Do that.

Ummm...you guys we are done. We have complete quilts. If you have followed this tutorial, PLEASE send me a picture. I would love to see what you did. Oh you want to see this one? Here is is....


  I am in love with this quilt and the room is beautiful. We will be showing off the room as soon as it is complete...hopefully before we add the new babies stuff to it. Then we can show you the changes :)

By the way, if you are just tuning in, you can find the first two portions on the tutorial here:

1 comment:

  1. Neat I had no clue that you used stencils while quilting. The quilt looks lovely!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails