Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Toddler Talk Tuesday

Last week was crazy and I didn't post for Toddler Talk. I told you I was gonna share a little on that this week. Help me! Save me from this madhouse! Here's the problem...

Terrible Twos are in full force around here. My daughter, Rhiannon, is not your normal toddler. She is usually ridiculously easy and sweet. She has always been a breeze to take care of. These past couple of weeks have been a challenge. Especially last week. She has picked up her three favorite phrases. "No way", "Stop it" and "Go away". This would be a challenge for anyone, I think. Being a mommy of a normally super well behaved child, makes it impossible. Okay, not impossible, we are dealing but it is tough.

I feel like I have tried everything. We have tried re-routing her words. If I am asking her something and she says "no way", I ask her to use nicer words and say "no thank you". If she tells me to "stop it" I remind her that those words are not nice and she needs to let mommy know what is bothering her. We've tried numerous disciplines. So far nothing has worked.

On Saturday, I asked my facebook friends for input. Most people suggested things we had already tried. A few gave suggestions that we hadn't. We tried with no luck. Ugh! Then, we had someone point out that she may be seeking more attention, even if negative. Ah ha! Maybe they were onto something. Rhi has been extra jealous of Talon. Don't get me wrong, she gets tons of attention. She has special time with mommy and daddy, on top of the time she has with Talon and I during the day. Let's face it though, babies get lots of attention, especially nursing babies. I have always been very cautious to include Rhi in all that we do. She is my helper, Talons big sister and bestfriend. She knows she is mommys favorite little girl. Did I fail somewhere?

On Sunday, Rhi and I spent lots of time just her and I. We went to Disneyland, came home played a bit and went back for the World of Color. Monday was great, until she got tired. Nap time came and "no way" was back. Woke up and was wonderful...until bedtime and "go away" had arrived again. Grr! What is going on?

I am making extra efforts to give her more one on one time. I am trying to make her nap more often. She cut her naps out over a year ago but maybe she needs them again. I am continuing to correct the behavior. I am hoping to make a change. To see an improvement. I'm not seeing anything. HELP! My toddler has gone mad. This momma is losing it. Do you have input for about talk back toddler? Please comment and let me know what you have done with your little ones.

How this works:
Simply link up your posts talking about your toddler. It can be anything really; crafts, games, trips, suggestions on toys, tips or just fun stories. We simply are going to talk about our toddlers and experiences being parents of toddlers. {multiple links to different posts are fine}
Grab the button in my sidebar and link back here. Help spread the word about Toddler Talk
It's as simple as that.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Kristen I wish I had something to say to help you, it looks like you're doing all the right things to deal with this phase. All I can say is toddlers are very persistent and they have more patient than us adults, they will insist and insist until they get their way so don't give up and let's pray that this phase passes fast! You're a great momma and God will guide you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, this is just part of being a toddler. She is learning that she is her own person, and that she has a different opinion. She wants to be able to assert her independence and express those opinions, and that's why she's giving you the attitude.

    It sounds like she is getting lots of love and attention from you, so you aren't doing anything wrong, and I don't necessarily think you should be doing anything more. This is a very challenging age, and if you make it out with only those 3 things, you're a very lucky woman ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.focusonthefamily.com/radio.aspx?ID={F0B092D0-91B1-408F-8FDC-34798813215D}

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails