When will the pain go away? How long will I feel like this? Does it ever get better?
What I have told those readers, the women who come to me in the midst of loss, is that eventually, you will feel like you can breathe again. Like the world that has just collapsed on top of you will slowly lift itself up. You will never be the same. You will always have a hurt in your heart but things will return to a new kind of normal. One that isn't quite the same but you will be okay. The hurt will ease up a bit.
And then there will be days like today. The anniversary of a loss. The due date you were given. The day you remember sharing the big news of new life. Days that bring you right back to where you were. Right back to feeling like the world is ending. Like you can't catch your breath no matter how hard you try.
As I am sitting here, a year after our second miscarriage, I am trying to think of what I would tell one of you. What I have probably said to many of you in this exact place. And I am at a loss. Healing a hurt of never getting to hold your baby, of never seeing their face or hearing them say mommy. Making that pain go away seems impossible.
I know that relief will come. I have seen how God has used my loss. How God has used their short lives. I know that God has me in His hands and will pull me through. But the pain, the pain doesn't go away.
I want to distract myself. To put myself somewhere where I can't think about this anymore. But then I feel an overwhelming guilt, trying to distract myself from the death of a child. My child.
What would I tell one of you?
I'm guessing that I would tell you that the hurt and pain is real and powerful and will consume you. I would tell you that just as God pulled you out in the beginning that He will pull you out again. That in this moment when it feels like the world is crashing and you can't control it, it is okay to cry and scream and be hurt. It is okay.
But we have to pull ourselves out of it. Not right now, not even tomorrow. But we have to move forward. Still loving, still remembering but moving forward. Reminding ourselves that we will see our babies. We will hold them. And they are in the best of hands right now.
I would tell you that it would get better. That it will never be okay but it will be better. Until next year and then it's going to hurt all over again. But that there will be all of us. All of us who have been there. We will be there to cry to. To cry with. We will be there to eat icecream at 8am with you. To just listen. I would tell you that it's going to hurt for now. It's going to hurt a lot and that it is okay to feel this way.
If any of you ever need someone to talk to, please email me. vesselhandmade@gmail.com There is nothing like knowing there is someone there to listen. Please do not try to do it all alone.

Oh my beautiful friend I'm in years right now, for you, for your precious babies above!!! I love you!!!
ReplyDeleteLove you too friend
DeleteSo sweetly written. Your heartbreak breaks His remember that. Something I will always hang on to was the story a friend emailed me a few months after my miscarriage. She wrote of the day our Lord will meet us face to face and says "I have someone for you to meet". I keep that so close so that when the pain creeps back in I can remember we have a God who is preparing a wonderful reunion for us. Hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteI know this. I have always known this. But reading what you wrote gave such a beautiful image that brings so much comfort. Thank you!
DeletePraying for you friend on this anniversary...I'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteThanks Amy. Need all the prayers we can get.
DeleteI unfortunately have also had two miscarriages, and my heart breaks everyday for those two little souls that I never had the chance to meet. But, our precious little babies opened their little eyes for the first time ever and saw our Heavenly Father. "They say that time in heaven is compared to 'the blink of an eye' for us on this earth. Sometimes it helps me to think of my child running ahead of me through a beautiful field of wildflowers and butterflies; so happy and completely caught up in what she is doing that when she looks behind her, I'll already be there." Praying for you, and all the other mommies out there who share in our pain!
ReplyDeleteLarisa, I am so sorry for your loses as well. It is such a tough road. Thank you for sharing that. Such a beautiful image to envision!
Delete