Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Then it hit me...

Doctors office this is Melissa, how can I help you?"

"Hi Melissa, this is Kristen Murphy, I brought my son in last..."


Heart stops, losing breathe, lump in throat, then tears.

"Ms Murphy, I think we have a bad connection, you were saying you brought your son in, what is your sons name?"

"Umm, he's uhh.. Melissa can I call you right back"


In that moment it hit me, it hit me hard that he is not my son. I clearly have known this all along and have been so good about saying foster child when making our appointments and meetings regarding little man. But I have become so attached.

He is not my son. This beautiful little baby has parents. And I am not one of them. Ouch.

He calls me mama. He's been saying it for about a week. And I feel like his mama. I am his mama for right now. But only right now.

Can I tell you though, as much as this pains me, the blessing far outweigh the pain. Little man has entered our home and brought so much joy. His milestones and development are such a celebration. He is amazing.

Foster care is tough. I won't lie and say its not.

There are more appointments than you would imagine. Weekly visits with our Serenity Social worker, monthly with county workers. There's the doctors visits and therapies. It's a lot.

There is the risk of heartbreak. The pain of knowing he may not always be here. There's the questions from strangers and not knowing how to answer. There's the phone call to a doctor that reminds you he is not yours.

But there is a child. One who needs you. Who was taken from the only place he knew and needed a place to go. Who needs someone not only to take care of him but love him like their own. To be his mama for right now.

As much as it hurts to realize that he may not always be our son, he is right now. This little man is teaching me to love in a whole new way. To love without fear. To love in spite of the cost. What a gift.

7 comments:

  1. I'm a blubbering mess! You amaze me my friend! And your little man, he is pretty amazing as well, and you are a wonderful mama to him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I like him :) And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, so sweet. You guys are awesome for bringing that precious boy into your home, with open arms. He's a lucky guy too, to have you as his family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful. It takes a special person to foster a child. You're doing an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh honey...ouch. Your heart is so big and because of that God can move in magnificent ways. The ripple effect you have started because of the love you have shown this child will reach many. I'm certain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs sweet friend!!!!!!!! So thankful you are his mommy right now in this moment...his mommy that is able to meet his every need in ways they have never been met. Love without abandon, the Lord will only use it to further His work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve bookmarked this because I found it interesting. I would be very interested to hear more news on this. Thanks!


    container storage melbourne

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails