Monday, September 5, 2011

Crayon tutorial


This week for Toddler Talk I want to share a fun little project I did. For Talon's Birthday party, which you can read all about tomorrow, I wanted some fun handmade favors. I went with racecar crayons. They were really easy to make and the kids all loved them. I had lots extra so we also set up a big poster board coloring sheet outside that had a racetrack for the kids to color and race all over.

Here's how I made our crayons,
You will need:
  • crayons
  • a candy mold of whatever shape you want (we could only find a pretzel mold)
  • a funnel
  • old cans
As prep, you will need to peel all of your crayons, I found it easiest to take a knife and split the paper wrapping lengthwise. Next you will want cut all of your crayons in half in order for them to melt faster. If you can only find a pretzel or lollipop mold, simply block the area for the stick. Hot glue seemed to do the trick for me.
Once your crayons are cut, separate them by color and put them into your old veggie cans. Place the cans into a pot of boiling water. Make sure your water is only about an inch high, if the cans float they are more likely to tip and make a mess, trust me. Let them heat until fully melted. No need to stir or do anything. Just wait.
When they are done melting, grab a potholder and pour the can of crayon into the mold using your funnel. Place the mold into the freezer for 5-10 minutes and pop them right out. You are finished.

Here is our finished product, cute little favors for our guests to take home.
What projects are you working on?



4 comments:

  1. LOVE these! I need to get back to Toddler Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making crayons!! Such cute party favors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun party favor! I will have to pin this for future birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can I get such a mold? Or something similar?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails