Tuesday, May 7, 2013

WIWW Maternity Style

Dressing the bump has proved to be quite the challenge this time around. With Rhiannon and Talon the baby doll style tops were really in. No need to buy maternity. A belly band and regular old clothes were all that I needed.

Oh how I wish that style would come back. Just until baby boy arrives. Let me tell you, the high-low and peplum tops just don't work when you have a bump the size of a basketball.


Don't even get me started on maternity clothes either. Finding stuff that doesn't look granny-esque but won't break the bank is tough work, yo. So, I have settled for looking a little bit frumpy. Long tanks from Old Navy and Target have become my B.F.F's. when I need to look half way decent I just throw on a cardigan or blazer and wa-la, I'm ready to go.

Sporting the 28 week bump
 This past weekend though, I needed to dress up for my cousin's wedding and it was way too hot for a blazer. After searching high and low for an affordable dress that didn't age me 20 years, I got desperate and went to the plus size section at Target. Everything was huge on me. But one dress fit the bump...still huge up top though. Luckily, my genius husband was tagging along. He told me to pinch the straps and see how it looked. Sure enough taking about an inch and a half in the arms made for great fit. Took it home, sewed it up and I was ready to go.

A few accessories and I felt confident to leave the house again. I think I may have found a new dress purchase fix. Altering fashionable plus sized dresses may be the way to go. I'll just cut off the XL tags to help my self esteem. :)

Dress:Target
Belt: Forever 21
Boots: Milano Shoes
Necklace: Premier Designs Jewelry
Earrings: Made with Pick Your Plum supplies

14 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS FRIEND!!! I just bought a dress in the same line (I think) for my shower, I tried it on and it was way to big in the arms, but fit everywhere else, so I thought, cut and sew the arms!!! granted its been sitting on my dresser for a few weeks, and I havent done it... great plan! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was genius.... Looks like your man is too!

      Delete
    2. Ha. Great minds think alike?

      Delete
  2. Your looking great!! Love the outfit. I have bought a lot of my maternity stuff from asos.com really stylish and not to pricey!!
    x Karen www.yellowdandy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I am going to check it out now!

      Delete
  3. I love the dress! You're looking fantastic! I still don't know how you do it :D God is SO GOOD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel huge. I am also measuring huge which might be part of the reason I feel it. I so appreciate and needed the compliment :)

      Delete
  4. You look gorgeous! So fun that you mentioned peplum tops - I wore mine today (21 weeks) and realized this would be the last time I could get away with it, the bump is getting too big now!

    Laura @ A Little Bit of Lacquer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks. And yes, in the beginning the peplum were awesome, they hid the not quite bump looking belly but they only last so long.

      Delete
  5. You look gorgeous in this dress! I have been seriously tempted to shop in the plus size section at Target because it's so much cuter than the maternity section! What's up with that?!? Love this look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it. There are like 3 other dresses in the line that I may go back for. I dont understand why the same designers don't do maternity.

      Delete
  6. This is the cutest maternity look ever! Love it! Baby Doll style was in when I was pregnant with my two as well. You are right it was so easy. I didn't have a lot of maternity clothes until the very end because my wardrobe already consisted of many baby doll tops.
    Sherry
    http://www.thelifeofthepartyblog.com/2013/05/chevron-and-coral-fashion-informant-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails