In the last few months I have been given a lot of grief about how I put my almost 3 year old to sleep at night.Every night she drinks her milk, brushes her teethe, uses the potty and heads to bed. The difference between her bedtime routine and most other three year olds? When she climbs into her bed she taps her pillow and says "mommy night night me?" and I climb into her twin size bed, say bedtime prayers and snuggle her until she falls asleep.
I cannot tell you how many looks and even harsh words I have gotten about this. Most people just tease, in the nicest and friendliest way. (which does not bother me at all and if you are one of those people please do not feel bad) But more than a few have told me what horrible habits I am teaching her. Many very close friends have given me that look of judgment, you know the one I'm talking about?
More times than not, when bedtime routines are brought up I share mine in a defensive manner, even when people don't see anything wrong with it. Habit I suppose.
Still every night, I lay in my toddlers bed and snuggle her. Last night while her little arms were wrapped around my neck, all I could think about is how I would not trade this for the world. I will never get these years back. Sooner than I know it she will be a tween, too embarrassed to hug me. Shortly after that she will be off in her own home. So for now, while I still can, I will climb into her bed and snuggle her until she is fast asleep.
I know what you mean about the looks!! I got those looks today when some of my hubby's co workers found out I have given sweets and feed my 7 month old regular food. Do what works best for you and don't worry about anyone else! Your daughter is obviously loved and well taken care of and that is all that matters :-).
ReplyDeleteThank you! People are quick to judge. Every family is different. What works for one may not work for someone else.
ReplyDeleteDon't feel bad! You got to snuggle with them while you can!!! Annalise still sleeps in my bed! she's 1 1/2 ! hahah! Most people would cringe when I tell them that but I love it and wouldn't change it for the world too!
ReplyDeleteThats why she is such a sweet and loving girl! She gets it from you! I wish Lauren had a big bed so I could do that with her :) I did it when we went on vacation and I loved it! The feeling is so beyond words to express :) you're a great mommy and I can tell your babes know how loved they are <3
ReplyDeleteMonick- Talon starts in his crib but ends up in my bed by 2-3am. I love it too!
ReplyDeleteGaby- It is so awesome to know other people can see how loved my children are. Makes my heart happy.
Our bedtime routine is very similar to yours! :) We watch Berenstain Bears, read books, and I rub my 3.5 year old daughters back until she is fast asleep. The world truly slows down during that forty-five minutes. Some days I stay a little longer and watch her sleep... it all goes by to fast and I want to hold on to these moments for as long as I can. I read somewhere that you won't do this forever so enjoy the time you have now. Bless you for being such a great mommy and doing what you know is best for your daughter and family!
ReplyDeleteThis made my heart smile!
ReplyDeleteSuper sweet! Kiera still asks me to do that. I love it! My mom still came in my room and laid in my bed when I was in Jr. High. I would talk to her about whatever and then she would fall asleep first. haha. Good job Mama!
ReplyDelete