My side of the story, huh? Nobody has ever asked my side of the story before. Maybe it’s because she tells it so much better. We guys tend to leave out the romantic, mushy stuff and skip to the good stuff; like when her car wouldn’t start and she needed me to rescue her from the school parking lot (true story). You know, the manly things that we guys are not ashamed to admit. But seeing as how this is her blog, I guess I can put down my sledgehammer and battleaxe and be sentimental for a bit.
When Kris and I first met… well which time really. There was the first time (if you could call it that), when one of our friends introduced us to each other and told us to keep shaking hands while she asked us a few questions. “I am a visitor from a distant galaxy.” She said. “How do eat on your planet?” “With our mouth,” we replied. [Still shaking hands] “And how do you walk?” she asked. “With our feet,” we answered. [Still shaking] “And how do you introduce someone on your planet?” she inquired. We looked at each other funny [Hands still shaking] and replied, “By shaking hands!” “Huh, that’s funny,” She said. “That’s how we have sex on our planet!” Quickly Kristen dropped my hand and walked away without saying a word. She never turned around but I knew her face was red.
After this embarrassing introduction it’s amazing that Kris ever spoke to me again. But she did. Our first actual conversation was on the pool deck. I was an “aqua jock,” playing water polo and she was the cheerleader that was way out of my league. She used to show up on the pool deck with her friend (the same friend who introduced us) whose brother also played water polo. I remember one time sitting down and actually talking to her thinking, “Man this girl is way too smart to be a cheerleader!” I know stereotypical, huh. I’d like to say that was the beginning of a long and wonderful relationship but that was the extent of our communication in high school. Two years of casual conversation in passing. But as Kris said in her blog, we both had a lot of maturing to do before God placed us back in each other’s lives.
We saw one another at a few get-togethers with mutual friends after high school and never really talked much than. That is until, one day while browsing through friends of friends on MySpace; I stumbled across this girl I always thought was too good for me. I thought, “Aw, what the heck. The worst thing she could do is say, ‘no! Leave me alone you wacko!’” But she didn’t she accepted my invitation to “hang out” and we have been doing so nearly every day since that one.
Sometimes I wish I would have struck up a conversation a little sooner. Maybe I could have saved myself a lot of pain. And, to really overwork the cliché, she really is my soul mate. From the first conversation we had, God has aligned our thinking. We agree on most things the first time; and the things we disagree on, well, we always work those out too. I’d like to say we are perfect in every way but that would be impossible. Instead I would say we complement each other perfectly, by filling in one another’s imperfections. And, trust me, she works overtime filling in mine.
I love you babe!
Don't you just love him? I scored! Although, maybe I shouldn't have let him blog here. He showed me up. So, let me promote him just a little bit. Ha! That sounds so wrong, after you just read our love story. I am referring to his blog. Steven has an up and coming photo business and JUST started a blog. Like, it's so new you will be one of his first followers. Go check him out Here!
I want Nick to write one! This was cute!
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed reading the stories written by both you are your wife. Thanks for sharing your lives.
ReplyDelete