I first laid eyes on my hunk of a husband when I was a sophomore in highschool. He was this 6'5", gorgeous, innocent water polo player. I on the other hand was a fun loving, wants to party, cheerleader. Needless to say, we did not date at that time.We had mutual friends and would talk on occasion. Both of us were interested in each other but just knew we were off-limits for whatever reason. I would tell my friends that I was "gonna marry that boy", we always got a good laugh out of it. He had never kissed a girl, he sure wasn't the type of guy I would typically date. I mean the boyfriend I had at the time (yes, you heard me right, I was lusting over Steven while I had a boyfriend) was what most girls in my high school called a player. Ha! Do they still use that word?
Over the next few years, God would align our paths. I say God did this because only He could know what would happen in my heart because of the casual run ins. I seen Steven a few times while I was out with this boyfriend whom I was forbidden to date. It always seemed to be when some undesirable situation was taking place, for example, a few friends and I went bowling with our boyfriends and while I was paying for my dead beat boyfriends beers, that I was not old enough to drink, there was Steven. He was there with a friend and greeted me with open arms. Always so sweet. I left there thinking "I wish I had someone like that". Only God could arrange for that, right?
Anyway, let's fast forward a couple years, get to the good stuff. While checking my MySpace inbox, I see a message from Steven Murphy. Can I just tell you that my heart skipped a beat and I may have had a panic attack... So I open the message and he is asking to get together, just to hang out. (BTW, my myspace account is still open just so I can cling on to a couple of our first chats.) The e-mail was innocent enough, so we decided to hang out right after I got back from partying it up in Havasu that weekend.
Now, when I went out with Steven, I was newly saved but still not walking the walk, I had a boyfriend and was just kind of a mess. So I go out with this boy, as friends, and have an experience that I had never had before. For once, this guy, who I hardly knew, was treating me with respect, he was interested in me and only me. We had so much fun that night that we went from dinner, to a movie, to bowling and then to InNOut because it was the only place open. We could not leave each other. When he finally dropped me off at home, I instantly called my boyfriend and broke up with him. You see, I had finally actually met and spent time with that boy I swore I was going to marry.
The next month was torture. I wanted so badly to be his girlfriend. To him, girlfriend was not taken lightly, he had only had one other girlfriend EVER. To me, we already were discussing marriage and saying we loved each other, why was it not official yet?
One month later, on Feb 8th 2005, we were boyfriend and girlfriend. Nine months after that we were engaged and in another months, we would be married. Our little life together has been crazy exciting. I am married to the man of my dreams, the boy I swore I was gonna marry. Let me end with this, I cannot wait to take him to my 10 year reunion. I will get the last laugh.
To hear his side of our love story, come back on Monday, my wonderful husband has agreed to guest post for Valentines Day.
I love your story and look forward to part two. My husband and I happen to have met in a bar some 20 years ago. It was truely a chance meeting and obviously God getting me to stop off by myself that particular night at a bar I went to with friends in college. There he was!
ReplyDeleteI sent you a little note via snail mail. I hope you enjoy it. Your new pen pal....Amy
Kristen, Just popping over to say thank you so much for the birthday card and gift. I can't wait to use the yoga mat strap, it was so thoughtful of you. I look forward to reading more of your blog.
ReplyDeleteThanks again & take care
Abbie (www.englishroseintexas.blogspot.com)
Great story. : )
ReplyDeletei remember you tell me this at blogsugar!! its SUCH a sweet story!! can't wait to hear his side
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading girls. I can't wait to see his story either. He hasn't given it to me yet :)
ReplyDelete