Monday, May 23, 2011

Emotions Ran Wild

May 21st. Many of you will laugh as soon as you read that date. It seems like a joke to so many. Although it was so obviously false to many of us, it brought on a lot of emotions.

Like I mentioned, many thought it was hilarious. A complete joke. Others feared for their lives and those of their children. They feared the death that was coming and where their soul would go.

Some went out and blew life savings, others already had their dollars spent promoting this "cause". Some people celebrated the life they had lived and the death that was soon to come. Others went on with their days expecting nothing out of the ordinary.

For me? May 21st was filled with emotions as well. Fear, Hope and Joy.

Fear, not because I thought the world would end but because I knew it wouldn't. What would happen to those who accepted Christ because of the fear in their hearts? What would happen to those whose faith was in this Judgement Day? What about the people who still don't know Jesus? What would they think of us "Crazy Christians" now? May 20th, I could not sleep. I used my time well and prayed for all of the people who would be affected by the false prophecy. I prayed that all those who believed in this would see that their faith was placed in the hands of a man and not in our Savior. That they would be able to wake on the 22nd and begin following the one and only God. I prayed that both, the believing and unbelieving, would see that although this was not the day, that it IS coming. We will one day face God.

I woke up on Saturday, full of hope. Hope for a hurting world. Hope that Jesus would be revealed, not by a rapture but by His people. All day I was hopeful that each of us would grow a little closer to Jesus through the knowledge that one day He will come. Not on a day that we have designated for Him but when God decides. Matthew24: 35-37 says "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man." He will come and we need to be ready.

Of all the emotions brought on by May 21st, the strongest for me was Joy. I know this sounds absurd. How could a false prophecy and fear in the hearts of so many bring joy in my life? Hear me out.

I believe in Jesus. I know who He is. I know what He did for me. I know where I am going. When the world passes away, I know that I will live with Him, forever. That, my friends, brings tremendous joy. Praying for so many on Friday night and through Saturday, although a sad sad topic, brought me so much happiness. I have a God who will listen, a father who despite the hour makes time for me. I will never fear a rapture or a judgement day. Instead I will look forward to the day I get to meet my savior face to face.

May 21st has come and gone. Nothing has changed. Can I challenge you all to make a change though? Let's live our life like Jesus is coming back today, everyday. Live our lives in a way that will make Him proud. In a way that others, who don't know Him want to know Him because they want what we have, that joy that shows even in hard times. The joy that only Jesus brings.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails