Those words have stuck with me. He may have been joking or just being a mean boy. The words may have been funny. However, to a girl who already hated everything about her appearance, those words were devastating.
How could I, now, as a grown woman still let these words haunt me? Why must I still put on makeup everytime I leave the house, even if it's only for a trip to the store?
More importantly, why am I letting my daughter see her mommy act this way? I tell her how beautiful she is constantly BUT what are my actions of having to cover myself with make-up teaching her?
Beyond that, what does my complaining and stressing over every detail teach her? My weight, my hair, all things in vanity.
I saw this image on pinterest and it broke my heart. Is this what I am teaching my almost three year old?
Today I will leave my house with no makeup. I will let my daughter see my confidence of who I am in the Lord and not who I was in the eyes of that 17 year old boy.
Although words cut deep, we cannot let them define us. Although magazines portray what society thinks we should look like, we cannot let them consume us.
I'm not saying that by putting on make-up or dieting we are teaching our children to hate themselves. But when we let it control us and our lives, it can be dangerous.
Choose to see yourself as Jesus sees you and not how you see yourself in the mirror. I am challenging myself to that. Will you all join me?
You are so strong. What a lovely reminder of how we should be living. I am certainly a poor example to my girls in this way. I'm CONSTANTly complaining about something about my personal appearance. Weight, clothes, makeup. Thank you for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome how God has brought this to your attention. Only He can heal those emotional scars and give you the wisdom to think differently about yourself.
ReplyDeleteThat picture above made me so sad. :(
I chose not to own a scale until a year ago. I use to weigh myself almost everyday in Jr High & HS. God is Almighty and can heal.
Praying for you friend!
I can't believe that boy said that to you! What a jerk!! You are a strong, beautiful woman and NOTHING less!! My Mom complains about her weight, make up, etc all the time, especially when I was growing up so I struggle with looking at all those outward appearance things way too much too. Thanks for the good reminder that we only need to worry about our Godly appearance. Love you friend!
ReplyDeleteWow. That picture is so sad & scary at the same time. I can't believe that boy would say something like that to you! Why are kids so mean? UGH! You are gorgeous and I'm sure you're just as gorgeous without makeup & when you've got on sweats. Thank you for this post... I'm definitely going to think about this a LOT!
ReplyDeleteI hate how much the highschool years of our lives effect us soooo much! 4 short short years can do so much damage in our lives, teenagers are so vulnerable, so easily shaped and molded. Im sorry some dumby said such jerkish things. Im glad you posted this! A good reminder for us that have little girls, AND boys, as what we do to ourselves as moms may have an impact on what are boys look for in the ladies!
ReplyDeleteGreat post Kristen. Really vulnerable and true on how a lot of us think. I just recently came to this realization as well. I don't want my daughter to ever talk poorly about herself or feel like she's not good enough and it all starts with how I model that behavior. I have made a conscious effort to not talk myself down. Even though she is only one, I need to start early so it becomes a habit! Thank you for being so honest. I just love you to piece my beautiful friend!
ReplyDelete