Friday, March 4, 2011

Confessions of a Shopaholic: Upfashioning


Have you ever noticed how well basic t-shirts are made? How about how inexpensive they are? Yes, two of the requirements that I have mentioned while describing what to put into your quality wardrobe. The problem? Well a basic t-shirt just isn't cute. However, with a simple up-fashion it can be. Today I am going to walk you through a little tutorial to make that simple, basic shirt into something you would really want hanging in your closet.

For the shirt I am going to teach you to make today, I used a $6 t-shirt out of Target's clearance section and some tshirt material I had on hand. You should always use two t-shirts to make the same thing.

Start off by cutting two strips of your tshirt material or out of your second tshirt. The strips should measure about 48". You will want one to be about 2" wide and the other about an 1.5".


Next pin your 2" strip around the neck of the shirt. Start at one shoulder and work your way to the other. As you work your way around, tuck and pleat wherever you feel like it, pin your tucks in place. This is the step that is going to give you the pretty ruffle.
Once it is all pinned in place, cut off your excess fabric and sew into place. I sewed the length of the fabric down the center. You can handstitch this if you do not have a sewing machine.
Once the first strip is sewn on, repeat with the second. Just pin in right down the middle of the wider strip. Ruffle as you please, I did not match up the ruffling to the first strip. If you like, you can do that. You have complete freedom with your look while upfashioning.

Wa-la! Your shirt is complete. My shirt took me about 5 minutes and $6 dollars. You cannot beat it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails