
Aw that's cute.
Cute!
Isn't this cute?
Do you think this is cute?
Sooo cute!
It's all you hear when you walk through a clothing store or clothing departments. I know I used to say it all the time. It is after all, all that really mattered. However, on a budget, cute is not exactly the word you want to hear or be saying over and over again.
I have begun using a whole new vocabulary lately. It consists of just a few questions.
Do I NEED this?
Do I LOVE this?
Is it worth X amount to me?
Today I just want to walk through each of these questions or thoughts with you.
Do I NEED this?
Notice the question is not do I want this. Frankly, if I didn't want it, I wouldn't be looking at it. Do I really need it is the question. So what constitutes a need? The answer is simple, something that is a necessity, that you do not have. Now that does not mean that because I have clothing at home, I do not need a shirt. Ex. In January I got to buy a few outfits because I have lost lots of baby weight. Clothing became a need. Or in a couple of months I will be going to Creative Estates and because I am a full time mommy, my wardrobe is mommy clothes. Clothing for an event like Cupcakes and Cocktails? Non-existent! Necessity.
*Let me point out that a want does not always have to be denied. Budget for your wants or splurge items. My budget has a category titled blow money. I can spend it each month or store it up for a rainy day.
Do I LOVE this?
I cannot tell you how many times I have stood in a dressing room thinking, I guess it looks okay. I leave the store only to stand in that same outfit at home thinking "I hate this on me". If you don't love it in the store, you won't love it at home. Oh and in a month, I can guarantee you won't like it at all. Save yourself the hassle and the money you will be spending, to buy something to replace it, by not getting it unless you love it. This goes for anything not just clothing. I struggle with this. I settle for good deals all the time. So as my momma always told me, do as I say not as I do!
Is it worth X amount to me?
In our budget every dollar has a name. Whether it is written down or I need to talk to my husband about where we can take money from to spend elsewhere, I know where every penny goes and/or needs to go. When I shop I know what I have to spend. Let's use $50 as our number for today.
If I walk into a store and instantly fall in love with a top for $21, I have to ask myself "is it worth only having $29 left for everything else" or "is this shirt $21 worth of cute?"
Or let's say I have that same $50 but it is from my blow money. Is a $30 outfit worth only having $20 left for the remainder of the month to get my coffee, crafty things and whatever else I may want?
Shopping has become a whole lot more about numbers and a whole lot less about fun. This is good for me though. The less fun, the less money I spend, the faster I see my goal of a debt free life!
Great! Wonderful! INspiring. LOVE LOVE LOVE this series please keep it up and inspire me everyday to save our money!! PS> creative estates clothing is a MUST! Can't wait!
ReplyDeleteLOVE this!
ReplyDeleteI can appreicate the questions: Do I need this? But when I watch what not to wear TV show I know I have clothes from years ago... Is it worth it?
ReplyDeleteThanks for reminding me! Im motivated to spring clean and identify oldies but not necessary goodies :)
Sorry it's taken me a few days to hop on over and say hi! Thanks so much for linking up. I think this is such a great series and love the whole idea of rethinking your vocabulary, especially your wants versus needs. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThe larger your vocabulary, the improved will be your ability in speaking and writing. If you have good quality of vocabulary, you will get better luck to perform well in your school, in your career or in your specialized field. Speaking fine and writing fine will absolutely take you to the way of success. https://vocabmonk.com helps you to improve your ability of speaking and writing.
ReplyDelete